- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Sriracha)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Dumplings: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white, sesame oil and arrowroot until frothy. Stir in the bell pepper, carrot, peas, chives, ginger, salt, and shrimp. Put 1/2 of the mixture in a food processor. Blend until the mixture forms a chunky paste. Return the paste to the bowl and combine it with the remaining vegetable mixture. Cut each egg roll wrapper into 4 equal-sized squares. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into the center of each piece of dough. Gather the sides of the egg roll wrapper around the filling leaving the top of the filling uncovered. If necessary, use a little water to help secure the wrapper in place. Spray the bottom of a bamboo or stainless steel steamer with vegetable oil cooking spray. Working in batches, stand the dumplings, uncovered filling side up, in the steamer and cover. Steam until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, hot sauce and garlic.
Arrange the dumplings on a platter and serve the dipping sauce alongside.