Spicy Fried Chicken Drumettes
- 12 (11/4 pounds) chicken drumettes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
Chicken: Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper, to taste, and put in a 1-gallon size resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, curry powder and cayenne pepper until smooth. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
Breading: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, bread crumbs, paprika, salt, and pepper.
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/3 of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 325 degrees F. (If you dont have a thermometer, a cube of bread will brown in about 2 minutes.) Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess to drip off, and dredge in the flour mixture. Fry, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until golden and cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes, depending on the size of the drumettes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
Arrange the chicken on a platter and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis