Sweet Couscous with Nuts and Dried Fruit
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (about 1 pound) couscous
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted and skinned hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, if desired
In a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cranberries, apricots, and cherries. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the couscous and remove the pan from the heat. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid until the couscous has absorbed all of the cooking liquid, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Using a fork, fluff the couscous to break up any lumps. Add the almonds and hazelnuts and toss. Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet until completely cooled, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the couscous to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Serving Suggestion: Drizzle the couscous with 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil for a moister texture.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, 2008