For the Marinade:
- 4 tablespoons tomato juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, washed, dried, and chopped, plus 20 leaves for decoration
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- Dash hot red pepper sauce
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
For the garnish:
- 1 vine ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and uniformly small diced
- 20 small pieces sea beans, see Cook's Note*, blanched in boiling water and refreshed in ice water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
For the Scallops:
- 20 live fresh, dry bay scallops, shucked (recommended: Taylor Bay scallops)
In a non-corrosive bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the garnish ingredients and let it chill in the refrigerator.
Press marinade mixture through a fine sieve and discard solids, keep liquid well chilled. Add scallops to the liquid and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, or until scallops appear slightly opaque. Arrange scallops back into their shells and top with garnish and cilantro leaves. Serve well chilled.
*Sea beans are an edible plant which grows along some European coastlines, also known as; samphire, pousse pied, or sea pickle.