Tuna and Green Bean Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds slender green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
- 3 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 2 large red potatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 9 ounces canned tuna packed in oil, drained
Cook the green beans in a large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Using a mesh strainer, transfer the green beans to a large bowl of ice water to cool completely. Drain the green beans and pat dry with a towel.
Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the same cooking liquid and bring the liquid to a simmer. Add the potatoes to the simmering liquid and cook until they are just tender but still hold their shape, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the ice water to cool completely. Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a towel.
In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, garlic, oil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the tomatoes, basil and parsley in a large serving bowl. Add the tuna and toss gently to combine. Add the green beans and potatoes and gently combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.