For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 5 limes)
- 1 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the larb:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 4-inch piece lemongrass, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 Thai chile (such as prik kee noo) or serrano chile, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- Sticky white rice, for serving
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce and honey. Set aside.
Make the larb: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, shallots, lemongrass, chile, and salt to taste. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the meat and vegetables are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the dressing to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the turkey mixture onto the lettuce leaves and arrange on a serving platter. Serve with sticky rice.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch