White Bean and Roasted Eggplant Hummus
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant or 3 Japanese eggplants, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/3 cup
- Kosher salt, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 hothouse cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place an oven rack in the middle.
Place the eggplant on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooled eggplant, beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Place the hummus in a dipping bowl and serve with the cucumber slices. Alternatively, spoon the hummus over the cucumber slices and arrange on a serving platter.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis, 2008