White Bean Tuna Salad
- 2 (6-ounce) cans dark meat tuna, packed in olive oil
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannelini white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup small capers, nonpareil in brine, drained and rinsed
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 6 fresh basil leaves
In a large bowl, add the tuna, reserving the olive oil in a separate small bowl. Break tuna into bite-size pieces with a large fork. Add the beans and capers. Into the bowl of olive oil, add the red wine vinegar. You should have 1 part vinegar to 2 parts oil - add more extra-virgin olive oil if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing on the tuna, bean and caper mixture and allow the flavors to infuse while slicing the vegetables. Add the onion and tomatoes to tuna mixture and toss gently.
Place the arugula on large decorative platter and top with tuna mixture. Tear fresh basil leaves over the top and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis