- 1 cup dark red kidney beans, soaked overnight and rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 white onion, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint or basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, about 1/2 of a pomegranate, plus more for garnish
- Toasted walnuts, for garnish
Bring beans and water to a boil with onion and bay leaf. Simmer until tender. Drain well and discard bay leaf. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, puree with walnuts, butter, chopped garlic, salt and pepper, to taste, until smooth and creamy. Mix chopped herbs together and blend half of them into the beans.
Season well and spread onto a small baking sheet, lined with plastic wrap. Cool completely.
Sprinkle generously with pomegranate seeds and remaining fresh herbs then roll into logs, using the plastic wrap to help roll. Wrap tightly and chill again.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.