Ginger Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 fresh lime
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 red chile pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade and quartered
- 1 teaspoon peeled fresh ginger root, diced small
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 liter canola oil, or enough as needed to deep fry
- 1 cup rice flour or all-purpose flour (or enough as needed for dredging)
- Salt and freshly round black pepper
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts cut into "chicken-finger"-sized strips
Microwave the lime in a small bowl and set aside until it is just cool enough to handle. In a small bowl, create a slurry by gradually whisking 2 tablespoons water into the cornstarch. Through the feed tube of a running blender add, 1 at a time, the vinegar, chile pepper, garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, and sugar. Then squeeze the lime from the micro-waved lime through the feed tube into the mixture. Then, leaving the blender running, add the slurry to the sauce, and pour the olive oil in a slow thin stream.
Heat the oil in the deep-fryer to 375 degrees F, or as directed by the manufacturer's instructions for similar foods.
Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge the chicken strips, allowing any excess flour to fall away. Deep-fry the chicken and drain on paper towels.
Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.