- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsulphered molasses
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canola or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup peeled fresh ginger, minced
Sift together first 4 ingredients and set aside. Mix sugar, molasses, eggs and oil. Slowly add dry ingredients. Add baking soda to boiling water, then add to gingerbread mixture. Add fresh ginger and pour into a buttered and floured 9-inch square baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Serve with a rum creme anglaise, fresh whipped cream, and/or julienned candied ginger, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Tanya Holland