Glaze-Of-Glory Candied Carrots
- 1/4 cup low-sugar apricot preserves or jam
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (32-ounce) bag (about 6 cups) baby carrots
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Black pepper, optional
- Cayenne pepper, optional
- Ground ginger, optional
- Special equipment: crock pot
To make the glaze, in a small dish, combine preserves, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir well and set aside.
Put all of the veggies in the crock pot and top with the glaze.
Use a large spoon to stir the contents of the crock pot up a bit. (Don't worry if the preserves mixture isn't completely distributed.)
Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Once the veggies are cooked, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water, and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add to the crock pot and mix well.
Turn off the pot and leave uncovered for 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Stir and, if you like, add additional salt and optional ingredients, to taste. Then enjoy!
PER SERVING (1 cup): 102 calories, 1.5g fat, 286mg sodium, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 13g sugars, 1.5g protein