Goan Warm Mussel Salad (Tisru)
- 4 servings
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup rich coconut milk
- Coarse salt to taste
- 4 pounds mussels (about 4 dozen), scrubbed clean
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut (optional)
Place onions and oil in a deep pot and cook, stirring over high heat until they turn light brown, about 5 minutes. Lower heat and stir in ginger, coriander, turmeric, and red pepper. Cook for an additional minute. Stir in the coconut, salt, and mussels, and bring contents to the boil. Cover the pot and steam until the mussels open up, about 7 minutes. Transfer mussels and the sauce to a deep platter. Sprinkle with lemon juice, coriander and, if desired, coconut. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of 'Julie Sahni's Introduction to Indian Cooking'