Golden Chicken Kebabs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts or a combination
- 1 cup plain yogurt (whole-milk or 2%)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, dry-roasted, crumbled to a powder, and dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried mint (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the chicken into small pieces, 1/2-inch cubes or smaller, discarding any fat or tough connective tissue.
Combine the yogurt with the remaining marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Place the chicken pieces in a shallow bowl, pour the marinade over, and stir to ensure that all the chicken is well coated. Let stand, refrigerated, for at least 3 hours or as long as 24 hours.
Preheat a charcoal or gas grill or a broiler.
Thread the chicken pieces onto metal skewers. Place only a few pieces of chicken on each skewer, and don't cram the pieces together tightly. (if they are packed together, rather than just lightly touching, they will not cook evenly.)
Courtesy of Seductions of Rice by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid