Golden Dumpling Coffee Cake
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar plus 1 cup sugar
- 1 pound sweet butter, plus more melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
- Cinnamon sugar
- Ground nuts
- Chocolate roll variation:
- 4 squares bitter chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pre-made golden dumpling coffee cake dough
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash
- The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Dissolve the yeast in the milk and 1 teaspoon sugar, mixing well. While the yeast is proofing (about 10 or 15 minutes) cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar. Then add 4 eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add yeast mixture and mix well on low speed until incorporated. Then add salt and 5 1/2 to 6 cups of flour and mix well. If the day were damp you probably would need 6 cups of flour. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Roll out the dough. Take a shot glass and punch out circles and make little balls with the dough. Dip the balls in melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar and ground nuts. Put around greased small tube pan. Layer the balls alternately each row, one on top of the other. Let rise until double, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes then lower oven to 350 and bake for another 1 hour 20 minutes or until golden brown. Turn out immediately onto large plate and hold for few seconds so that all of the dough will come out.
Melt the chocolate on top of stove with sugar. Can be somewhat of a grainy consistency. Roll out 1/4 of the dough pretty thin, then put the chocolate mixture starting at wide end and 1/2-inch away from sides and 2 inches away from bottom. Roll up like a jelly roll and put on parchment lined cookie sheets. Use the beaten egg wash on top. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Mikki Arnold
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller