- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium-size carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size head cauliflower, separated into florets (cut large florets in half)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick half moons
- 1/2 pound chorizo, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp (31 to 35 per pound), shelled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Heat vegetable oil in large pot. Add onion and carrots; cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sweet peppers and cauliflower; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, creole seasoning and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until vegetables are almost fork-tender, about 18 minutes.
Add squash; cook until squash is cooked through but still retains its shape, about 5 minutes.
Cook chorizo in skillet over high heat until browned, 5 minutes. Remove to paper toweling.
Shrimp: Heat olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Season shrimp with the salt and pepper. Add shrimp to skillet; saute until cooked through, pink and curled, 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove shrimp from skillet; keep shrimp warm.
To serve, spoon cooked rice into large bowl. Spoon vegetable jambalaya over rice. Arrange cooked shrimp around edge. Serve browned chorizo in a bowl on the side for garnish.