Gordy's Fresh Homemade Chili
- 6 to 7 large fresh green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 large ribs fresh celery, chopped
- 1/2 pound butter
- 10 pounds fresh choice ground beef
- 5 pounds fresh sweet yellow onions, chopped (6 to 8 jumbo), plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 gallon premium diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 gallon chili sauce
- 2 gallons dark red kidney beans with juice
- Freshly grated Cheddar
- Hot pepper sauce of choice
Put the chopped green peppers, chopped celery and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cover and saute for 20 minutes, stirring several times during the cooking.
Add the chopped onions, and season with the salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the meat has browned and is fully cooked, about 1/2 hour. In a large soup pot or kettle, add the beef and onions, celery and peppers, the chili powder, diced tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, kidney beans with all the juice, the 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup of pepper. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer the chili for 45 minutes.
It will lose its chunkiness and mellow in flavor the longer you cook it. Keep it on all day, if you like, stirring it from time to time.
Serve in a large bowl garnished with grated Cheddar and freshly chopped onions. Add your favorite pepper sauce for some heat.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.