A specialty of The Hotel Excelsior, Amsterdam
- 1 pound veal tenderloin, trimmed
- Freshly ground salt, to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Clarified butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup Scotch whisky
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 ounces prosciutto ham, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces smoked tongue, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Preheat broiler. Season veal fillets with salt and pepper. Heat clarified butter in pan on high and brown fillets on all sides. Remove from heat and place in casserole, with juices from pan. Broil for 12 minutes, turning once.
Cook onion and leek in pan used to cook tenderloins. Add some clarified butter and cook over medium heat until transparent. Add garlic, then sherry and flame. Pour on Scotch and flame again. Add red wine, Worcestershire sauce and mushrooms and bring to boil.
Let sauce boil down to almost nothing and gradually stir in whipping cream. Pour on serving platter, top with veal, vegetables and sliced prosciutto and tongue. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.