A specialty of Len Evans Tasting Room, Sydney, Australia *This recipe requires overnight preparation
- 1 pound veal shoulder, cubed
- 1 pound pork shoulder, cubed
- 1 medium onion, in large chunks
- 1 medium carrot, in large chunks
- 1 stalk celery, in large chunks
- Freshly ground salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups red wine
- 7 ounces butter, cubed, chilled
- 3 cups pastry flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 2 eggshells-full cold water
- Clarified butter
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 3-inch stalk celery, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 6 peppercorns, parsley - tied up in a cheesecloth pouch or bound together with kitchen twine)
Mix together veal, pork, onion, carrot, celery, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour red wine over this, cover with plastic wrap and marinade in cool spot on countertop overnight, or refrigerate.
For pastry: In medium bowl, cut butter into flour, then add 1 egg and mix thoroughly. Add cold water and combine well. Set aside until needed. Beat second egg with a pinch of salt.
Strain marinade from meat and reserve. Set aside vegetables and dry meat thoroughly with towel. Heat large pan with clarified butter on high heat and brown meat pieces. Cover meat with vegetables and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes.
Roll pastry to fit across top of casserole dish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour meat mixture into casserole and add mushrooms and wine, discarding peel, bouquet garni, and garlic clove. Cover with pastry and crimp edges to seal. Decorate with pastry leaves and poke a steam vent in center of crust. Brush pastry with beaten egg and bake for 90 minutes.