Gramma Caruso's Sicilian Stuffing
- Total Time:
- 15 min
- 15 min
- 12 servings
- This recipe comes from my Gramma, who was one of the best cooks I ever knew. My mom always made the traditional bread stuffing, which was okay, but when it was my Gramma Caruso's turn to have Thanksgiving, I couldn't wait to smell and eat her stuffing. Just like her, it was wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving, Gramma--I miss you!
- 1 lb ground round
- 1/4 lb ground veal
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 3/4 cup warm chicken broth or water
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
Heat oil in skillet, add onions and cook until slightly tender. Add all the ground meat and incorporate with fork. Add salt and pepper and garlic. Cook until half done, then add mushrooms, and continue cooking until meat is done. Do not drain.
Put in large mixing bowl and add cooked rice. Toss, add bread crumbs, cheese, milk, and egg. Sorry guys, now ya gotta use your hands. Mix together, again add salt and pepper to taste. When fully mixed, add your chicken broth or water, more if you want a moist stuffing.
The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Recipe courtesy Donna Littlefield of North Tonawanda, NY, for FoodTV.com's Stuffing Cook-Off
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro