Grandma's Secret Apple Pie (Fruit Pie Round)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or Hawaiian salt, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter flavored all-vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg yolk plus 1 teaspoon water, beaten, for egg wash
- 4 large or 6 medium Granny Smith apples, about 2 pounds (to make 6 cups sliced apples)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good quality bourbon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Vanilla sugar, for sprinkling, optional
- Crust Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add shortening and butter. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture resembles course meal. Drop by drop, add the cold water. Mix in with the fingertips, not hands, as the palms will warm the dough. Continue mixing water in until the dough begins to hold together without being sticky but not crumbly. Divide dough into 2 pieces and place 1 piece of dough in plastic warp. Press down to form a disk. This will make rolling out easier after chilling. Lightly spray a deep 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Roll out second piece of dough and place in pie plate, allowing the excess pastry to hang over the edge. Lightly brush sides and bottom of crust with egg wash. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes before filling. Makes pastry for 9-inch double-crust pie.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.Filling Preparation:
Peel, quarter, and core apples; cut into 1/4-inch slices (should have 6 cups). Toss with the lemon juice in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, pour over the apples and toss to coat. Whisk together egg and bourbon. Fold into apple mixture. Spoon apple filling into the chilled pastry shell; cut butter into very small pieces and sprinkle over the apples. Roll out remaining pastry. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Lightly brush egg wash around edge of pie. Cover pie and trim overhang. Turn edges under flush with the rim; crimp all around to make a stand-up edge. Bake pie at 425 degrees F for 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and juices are bubbling up. Remove from oven and sprinkle with vanilla sugar, if desired. Cool on wire rack.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.