- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey (local)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup rolled spelt
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 2/3 cup dried fruit (i.e. white raisins, chopped apricots, black currants, cranberries)
- 2 cups honey puffed spelt (recommended: Stutzman Farms)
- 2 cups honey puffed corn (recommended: Stutzman Farms)
For the granola:
Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
On low heat, melt butter and honey. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, rolled spelt, wheat germ, sesame seeds, flax seeds, ground nutmeg, and salt. When the butter mixture cools to room temperature, toss with the dry ingredients until the dry mixture is slightly moistened. If the mixture seems dry, melt more butter and toss it in. Spread in an even layer onto a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, mixing the ingredients every 10 minutes and spreading them evenly. Remove from oven, mix again and set aside to cool. When cooled, in a large bowl, toss mixture with toasted almonds, dried fruit, honey puffed spelt, and honey puffed corn. Store in an airtight container. Serve with yogurt and fresh fruit and top with local honey or apple cider syrup.
Recipe courtesy of Heather Haviland, owner of Lucky's Cafe in Cleveland, OH.