Green Bean and Wild Mushroom Casserole
Recipe courtesy Georgia Downard
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 8 min
- 13 min
- 55 min
- 3 cups milk
- Bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated white cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces, blanched
- 3 cups sliced assorted wild mushrooms (such as portobello, shiitake, or cremini)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs
Make sauce: In a saucepan scald milk and bay leaf. In another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
Remove bay leaf from milk and slowly pour into butter-flour mixture, whisking constantly. Season, to taste, with mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheddar, stirring until melted and smooth.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Fold green beans and mushrooms into sauce, then transfer to a buttered casserole. Sprinkle top with Parmesan and buttered bread crumbs. Bake 50 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray