- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Tomatillo Salsa (see recipe)
- 10 small corn tortillas, cut into 1/2inchwide strips
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup crema
Bring chicken stock to boil in deep skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to broth. Cover and cook until chicken is opaque in center, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to work surface; reserve stock. Cool chicken. Shred.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 chopped onion. Saute until soft. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add salsa and reserved stock. Simmer 10 minutes.
Pour 1 cup vegetable oil into large skillet. Heat over medium heat. When hot, fry tortillas in batches until golden brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer tortillas to paper towels and drain.
Add shredded chicken to salsa pot. Bring to boil. Add cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in fried tortilla chips. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and finely chopped onion. Place dollop of crema in center and serve.