Green Mango and Papaya Salad in Classic Thai Dressing (Yam Mamuang)
- 1 green papaya, peeled and julienned
- 2 large green mangoes, peeled and julienned
- 1 pound haricots verts or long string beans, cut into 1-inch sections
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground dried shrimp*
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced fresh Thai Red Chili*
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes (optional)
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves (to serve)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (to serve)
- 2 tablespoons roasted ground peanuts
- *Can be obtained at: Asia Market, 71 Mulberry Street, NYC, Attn:
- Cathy, telephone: (212) 962-2028
In a large bowl, combine green mango, papaya, string beans and lemon juice. Set aside for 5 minutes. In a wok or frying pan, heat oil, add garlic and fry until golden. Add onions and fry until clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on absorbent kitchen paper.
To the mango mixture add fish sauce, sugar, dried shrimp, chili, cilantro and dried chili flakes, if desired. Toss gently and chill.
Serve on a bed of 2 Bibb lettuce leaves, with garnishes of tomato halves, peanuts, fried onion and garlic
Thank you! your flag was submitted.