Green on Green Pasta Soup
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 leeks (white and green parts) cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium cabbage, shredded finely
- 6 cups water or homemade chicken broth
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch half moons
- 1/2 pound green beans cut into 1-inch lengths or "haricots verts" cut in half
- 1/2 cup orzo or other small shaped pasta
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen "petite" peas, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon each chopped parsley, mint and chives
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade of basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, Pesto or other herb paste
In a large soup pot, heat the vegetable oil. Add the leeks, cover and cook for a couple of minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cabbage, 1 cup of the water, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted. Add the remaining water, zucchini and green beans, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are somewhat tender. Add the pasta, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender. (At this point check the level of liquid; if the soup seems somewhat thick, just add more water to bring the level of the liquid back up to where it was at the beginning of cooking time.) Add the peas and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to heat through. Season carefully with salt and pepper. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the fresh herbs. Serve with 1 or 2 of the garnishes, according to taste.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.