Green Papaya Salad with Grilled Prawns
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green, unripe papaya, peeled and shredded (or substitute cucumbers)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup crushed fermented crab, or dried shrimp
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus 1 lime quartered for garnish
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 jumbo shrimp, in the shell
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- Oil for brushing shrimp
In a large heavy bowl, or mortar and pestle, combine the chiles and garlic with a spoon, pressing down gently to break them down slightly. Add the papaya and mix, again pressing down to soften the shreds. Add the carrots and crab or shrimp and toss. Add the sugar, salt, fish sauce, and lime juice and toss well. Add the cherry tomatoes and toss to combine. Set aside.
Preheat grill. Using a sharp knife, cut through the shell to make a slit down the back of each prawn, leaving the shell on. Thread 2 prawns onto each skewer. Brush the prawns with oil and place on the hot grill. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until just cooked through.
Transfer the salad to a serving platter or individual plates, top with the grilled prawns, and garnish with lime wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.