- 2 pounds durum-wheat semolina
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound spinach, boiled, salted, and drained
- 1 ounce extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sprigs basil, leaves removed, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, skinned and seeded
- 1/2 pound eggplant, diced and coated with flour
- 1 large tomato, skinned, seeded, and sliced crossways into 6 "stars"
To prepare the pasta, put all ingredients in a bowl, and knead together. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for approximately one hour. Roll out the pasta to the thinnest setting on a pasta machine and lay out to dry for about 5 minutes. Cut the pasta into strips, or feed through a pasta cutter. Set pasta aside until ready to be cooked.
To begin the sauce, heat the olive oil and add the basil, so the flavors infuse into the oil. Add the cherry tomatoes and salt, and cook for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook the pasta for 6 to 7 minutes.
In a separate pan, heat some oil, and fry the eggplant. The eggplant must be golden brown when done. Lightly salt when eggplant is still hot.
To serve: Heat the sauce and add the drained pasta. In the center of each dish, place a tomato star filled with the golden eggplant. Surround the plate with the pasta, and place a basil leaf on top for decoration.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.