- 2 large red peppers
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 3 to 4 stems rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large or 4 medium portobello mushroom caps
- 1 large sweet onion or red onion, thickly sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 8 thin slices smoked fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- A handful flat-leaf parsley
- Olive oil potato chips
Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to high. If cooking indoors, char the peppers over an open gas flame on the stove top or under a hot broiler. Char the peppers until blackened all over, then put them in bowl and cover with plastic wrap to cool. If cooking outside, char peppers over the hot area of the grill.
Meanwhile, in food processor combine the wine, rosemary, red pepper flakes, garlic and mustard. With the processor running, slowly stream in the extra-virgin olive oil to make a marinade. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken to a resealable plastic bag and pour in 1/3 of the marinade and turn to coat. Add the mushrooms and onions to a small bowl and pour in the remaining marinade.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill for 12 minutes. Grill the mushrooms and onions until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes and char the tomatoes the last 3 to 4 minutes of cook time.
Remove the chicken from the grill to a cutting board and slice on an angle. Serve 1 1/2 thighs per person or 1 breast per person. Pile the chicken on the roll bottoms.
Top the chicken with smoked cheese and sliced grilled mushrooms and onions, and squished fire-charred tomato. Peel, seed and chop the peppers and put them on top of the tomato. Sprinkle with a little parsley and cover with the roll tops.
If you're felling ambitious, you can puree the peppers in food processor to make them saucy. Serve the panini with olive oil potato chips alongside.