Grilled Citrus Chicken with Grilled Tropical Fruit
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 6 servings
- 7 pounds chicken pieces, excluding wings, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Chipotle chiles, canned or rehydrated in vinegar
- 3 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large mangos, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and cut on the bias into thick slices
- 1 pineapple, peeled and sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish. In a blender, combine the citrus juices, rum, garlic, sugar, chipotles, red peppers, onion, vinegar and olive oil. Pulse gently. Pour marinade over the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Turn the chicken once. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat the grill.
Place the mango pieces, banana slices and pineapple on a sheet of foil and brush with lime juice. Set aside.
When the grill is ready, brush with vegetable oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken pieces, cavity sides down, on the grill and cook for 10 minutes. Turn and baste with the marinade and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Baste and turn chicken every 5 minutes for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
Lightly brush the fruits with melted butter. Set the foil on the grill during the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Perforate the foil to allow the heat to reach the fruit, then fold the foil into a packet and cook until the fruit is slightly limp and lightly charred.
Place the chicken on a platter and arrange the fruit along the edges.