Grilled Flatbread with Zatar and Yogurt Sauce
- 2/3 ounces wet yeast
- 5 cups warm water
- 3 pounds 6 ounces flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup sumac
- 3/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 quart goat yogurt, drained in cheesecloth for at least 4 hours or overnight, refrigerated
- 1 tablespoon toasted, ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/6 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Mix yeast with water. Add flour and salt. Mix for 15 minutes. Add more flour if dough seems wet. Should clean sides of bowl but be semi-sticky.
Mix zatar ingredients to combine. Set aside at room temperature.
Put drained goat yogurt in a mixing bowl and add the remaining sauce ingredients.
Preheat as grill to medium heat.
When ready to grill, take a ball of dough and with your hands or a rolling pin, stretch the dough to about an 8-inch circle. Brush lightly with olive oil and grill on medium fire until it starts to puff. Flip and cook on other side for about 1 minute more. Place on a kitchen towel and cover until all doughs are cooked.
Take the warm flatbread, drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of zatar, drizzle with yogurt sauce and roll up taco or wrap style. For a more substantial meal, add your favorite grilled meat and top with any combination of your favorite items, like: chopped romaine, sliced red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, mint, cilantro and/or feta cheese
Recipe courtesy of Heidi Krahling
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis