Grilled Honey-Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 whole organic chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 head garlic, unpeeled
- 4 slices fresh ginger root, gently bashed to open up
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, sliced and bashed to open up
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, plus 1/2 cup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Scallion threads, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Begin by making the brine. Combine the water, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, salt and thyme in a large resealable bag and swirl to dissolve the sugar. Add chicken pieces and allow to brine for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat grill to low-medium heat.
Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Discard the brine. Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl, drizzle with the 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat and cook on a low-medium grill for 17 to 20 minutes per side until cooked through. Baste with teriyaki glaze for the last 5 to 7 minutes of cooking. Serve garnish with scallion threads (finely sliced scallions cut on the bias soaked in ice cold water), and toasted sesame seeds.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri