- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 red and 3 green jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 2 limes, about 4 tablespoons
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, or to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 live lobsters, 1 1/2 pounds each
- 2 limes, quartered, for garnish
Heat a wide saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the shallots for 3 to 5 minutes, or until slightly golden. Add the garlic and chiles and saute, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add the cumin, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes more, until the aromas are released but the spices are not burned. Remove pan from heat and add lime juice, butter to taste, salt and pepper. Set the mixture aside while you preheat a broiler or prepare a grill for highheat cooking.
Cut lobsters in half lengthwise and season with salt and pepper. Grill at high heat for approximately 8 minutes, shell side down. Then reduce the heat or move the lobsters away from the hottest part of the fire, rotating them 180 degrees to help them cook evenly, but keeping the shell side down. Grill at low heat for 5 minutes more. Spoon the spice mixture over the lobsters at the end of grilling for the last few minutes. Serve immediately with plenty of lime wedges.