Grilled Porterhouse Steaks
- 3 (1 1/2-inch-thick) porterhouse steaks (each about 2 to 2 1/4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons mixed whole peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Horseradish-Mustard Butter, sliced into 6 rounds, recipe follows
- Horseradish-Mustard Butter:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Let steaks stand at room temperature 30 minutes. With a mortar and pestle or bottom of a heavy skillet coarsely crush peppercorns and in a small bowl combine with salt. Pat steaks dry and rub seasoning onto both sides of steaks, pressing to adhere.
Grill steaks on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 7 to 9 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 130 degrees F. for medium-rare. (Alternatively, steaks may be broiled on rack of a broiler pan under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from heat.) Transfer steaks to a platter and let stand 10 minutes.
Serve steaks sliced with the horseradish-mustard butter.Horseradish-Mustard Butter:
In a bowl, blend together the butter, horseradish, mustard, and shallot with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. On a sheet of plastic wrap, form the butter into a log about 4 inches long. Chill the compound butter until firm, at least 30 minutes or freeze until ready to use.
Yield: 6 servings
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Steak and Peach Salad, Marinated and Grilled Skirt Steak with Wilted Watercress and Salsa Verde, Grilled Sirloin Steaks with Pepper and Caper Salsa, Filet Mignon Recipes, Smoked Pork Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes