Grilled Skirt Steak with Cactus Relish
- Juice of 6 limes
- 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 6 serving pieces
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- CACTUS RELISH
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears, or highquality canned or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup prepared cactus paddles or nopales, pricklypear cactus, rinsed and diced fine
- 6 tomatillos, husked, washed and finely diced
- 1 to Serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
Whisk together the lime juice, chiles, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl. Generously brush each piece of meat all over with the marinade and roll each piece up into a cylinder. Arrange the rolled steaks in a shallow nonreactive dish and pour on remaining marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 24 to 48 hours.
About 30 minutes before cooking, remove the meat from the refrigerator. Unroll the steaks and sprinkle with salt.
Heat the grill to very hot. Cook the steaks just until seared on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and slice across the grain into diagonal strips. Serve hot with Cactus Relish and warm flour tortillas.CACTUS RELISH
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over mediumhigh heat. Saute the corn with the salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Add nopales, tomatillos, and peppers and saute briefly to combine and warm slightly. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
Add cilantro, vinegar and scallions and stir well to combine. Let sit 20 to 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
Serve at room temperature. Relish can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
Yield: about 3 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.