Grilled Snapper in Banana Leaf: Pepes Ikan Kakap
- 2 pounds snapper filets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Bali lemon, or two regular limes
- Betutu spice, recipe follows
- Banana leaves, or tin foil
- 3 salam leaves, or substitute bay leaves
- 2 sliced green tomatoes
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/4 sweet basil leaves
- Tamarind water, to soften, or substitute with the juice of 2 lemons
- Betutu spice:
- 1/2 cup peeled shallots
- 1/4 cup peeled garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons galangal
- 3 pieces lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons fresh hot chili peppers seeded and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar chopped
- 4 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, for frying
In a bowl season the fish with salt, pepper, lime juice, and betutu paste.
On a sheet tray, lay down the banana leaf. Place a salam leaf on the banana leaf. Place the fish on the middle of the banana leaf over the salam leaf. Place sliced green tomatoes, lime leaf, sweet basil, and tamarind water on the fish. Season with salt and pepper.
Wrap the fish folding both ends together and secure with a bamboo skewer. Grill until cooked, approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the fillets.Betutu spice:
Grind shallots, garlic, tumeric, ginger, galangal, lemongrass, chili peppers, palm sugar, and shrimp paste in a food processor. Saute paste with coconut oil.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Shrimp in Lettuce Leaves with Serrano-Mint Sauce, Grilled Shrimp in Lemon Leaves---Gamberoni Alle Foglie di Limone, Grilled Snapper Vera Cruz, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Easy Shrimp, Easy Casserole, Easy Appetizer Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes