Grilled Sonoma Foie Gras with Oaxacan Mole
- Oaxacan mole sauce:
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 6 ounces dried mango
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (Callebaut)
- 1 ounce Worcestershire sauce
- 4 fried corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- Kosher salt
- Foie Gras:
- 4 ounces foie gras
- Kosher salt
- 2 large roasted and peeled yellow peppers
- 2 ounces fresh pineapple diced
- 6 ounces prepared mole, recipe follows
- 3 ounces fresh chives, snipped
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Mole: Toast all dry spices and chiles until dark in a 350 degree F oven. Combine all ingredients and bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Puree all in a blender, and adjusts seasonings, to taste.
Foie Gras: Preheat a charcoal grill until the coals are white hot. Score the foie gras with a sharp knife and salt the foie gras liberally. Place on the grill and cover to prevent flame-ups. Turn the foie gras after 2 to 3 minutes and cook on the other side until it's medium rare.
To serve, place the roasted peeled peppers in the center of the plate. Garnish with diced pineapple.
Then, using a squirt bottle filled with mole sauce, paint the plate liberally. Place the cooked foie gras in the center of the plate, on top of the roasted peppers, and garnish with the fresh chives.