Grilled Stuffed Calamari 'Sushi' with Black Bean Aioli
- 1 red bell pepper fine diced
- 2 each lapchong, fine diced (may substitute with sausage)
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 12 each medium sized squid tubes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chile powder (Korean or ancho)
- Canola oil to cook
- BLACK BEAN AIOLI
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 each serrano chiles, minced
- 1 tablespoon rinsed, minced fermented black beans
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup canola oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Pre-heat a grill very hot. In a skillet coat lightly with oil and on high heat, saute the pepper and lapchong until soft, about 4 minutes. Fold in rice and add the scallions, cilantro and oyster sauce. Season and check. Stuff the squid tubes using a pastry bag or plastic bag with the tip cut off. Oil the grill and season the tubes with salt and chile. Mark the tubes, and roll them around so that all sides cook evenly, about 5 minutes total. Be careful not to overcook the squid as it will get tough. Let rest 1 minute then slice into one inch pieces, like sushi.BLACK BEAN AIOLI
Saute garlic, chiles, black beans and ginger until soft. Deglaze with vinegar and reduce by 80%. Let cool completely. In a food processor, add mixture with yolks. While processor is on, drizzle in oil, slowly at first until it emulsifies, then more quickly. Check for seasoning. Store in refrigerator.
PLATING Fill a small dish with the aioli and arrange the 'sushi' around the dish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.