- 1/2 cup wasabi
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup safflower oil or vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (6-ounce) tuna fillets
- Butter and water
- 2 cups Jasmine rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned whole straw mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup lychee nuts, quartered
- 1 cup wakame seaweed (rehydrated)
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved into strips with peeler
Garnish: long chives
In a mixing bowl, mix together wasabi and honey. Wasabi mixture should be a pourable consistency. Transfer into a squirt bottle and place aside.
In a saucepan, reduce orange juice to a sugar syrup, be careful not to burn. Add vegetable stock, red curry paste, white wine, shallots and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce by half. Transfer contents in a blender. Add rice wine vinegar and puree slowly adding the safflower oil until emulsified. Transfer to a squirt bottle. Set aside.
Season tuna fillets with Kosher salt and black pepper (using 7/8 salt and 1/8 pepper) then grill tuna fillet to desired doneness.
In a saute pan emulsify butter and water, add jasmine rice and heat.
In another saute pan over high heat, heat oil and saute straw mushrooms, lychee nuts. On a serving plate arrange seaweed in a circle. Place rice in center on top of seaweed, carrot strips on top of rice keeping in mind you want to see carrots. Sprinkle around the edge of plate straw mushroom-lychee nut mixture. Place tuna fillet on top of carrots, squirt Thai vinaigrette on top of tuna and then squirt the wasabi glaze on top of Thai vinaigrette. Garnish with long chives.