Grilled Tuscan Sardines
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 to 16 fresh whole sardines, cleaned, scaled, rinsed and dried
- Bread crumbs
- Crusty bread for serving, optional
- Parmesan, for garnish
Preheat a grill or broiler to high.
In a mortar and pestle, combine the oregano and parsley with the crushed red pepper, sea salt and pound until well crushed. Add the lemon juice and drizzle in the olive oil until well combined. Add a pinch of pepper, if desired. Set aside at room temperature until you are ready to serve the sardines.
Season the sardines well on both sides with salt and pepper. Place directly on the grill and cook, turning once, until the skin is crispy and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the size of the fish. Season the fish with the herb sauce, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and then finish in the oven, if desired.
Transfer the fish to a serving platter and drizzle with the herb sauce. Serve immediately, with crusty bread, if desired, and garnish with Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Amy Thielen