- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium yellow squash, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
- 3 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 2 medium eggplants, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Serving suggestions: Couscous Salad and Pesto with Yogurt, recipes follow
- Couscous Salad:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, plus cucumber slices for garnish (about 1 cup diced)
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice, plus tomato slices for garnish (about 1 cup diced)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion
- Pesto with Yogurt:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
Preheat grill pan. Combine olive oil with salt and pepper.
Peel the outer slices of the eggplant and zucchini. Lay the vegetables on a large baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Place vegetables on grill pan, turning just once, until everything is marked with dark stripes, about 10 minutes.
When done transfer to a large platter.Couscous Salad:
In a saucepan combine the broth, water, 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of the oil, bring the mixture to a boil, and stir in the couscous. Cover the pan, remove it from the heat, and let the couscous stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork and let it cool in the pan.
In a very large bowl stir together the cucumber pieces, tomato dice, scallion, the remaining 1/3 cup oil, the remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, and salt, to taste, and let the mixture stand for 15 minutes. Add the couscous, stir the salad well, and chill it, covered, for 1 hour. The salad may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Serve the salad garnished with cucumber and tomato slices.
Yield: 8 to 10 servingsPesto with Yogurt:
Mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt. In a food processor puree garlic paste, basil, walnuts, Parmesan, and oil until smooth. Add yogurt and combine well. Pesto keeps, its surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, for up to 5 days.
Yield: 1 1/3 cups
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp