- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 large tomato, stemmed
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, such as kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
Using a sharp knife, cut the avocados in half. Remove the pits. Scoop the flesh into a medium-sized bowl and roughly crush with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the lime juice.
Press a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface of the guacamole. Let sit for about 1/2 hour at room temperature and then adjust the seasonings; you may want to add more jalapeno pepper, lime juice, salt or pepper.
Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of "Al Roker's Big bad Book of Barbeque" Scribners 2002. Copyright 2002 Al Roker