Banana Mascarpone Ice Cream:
- 4 frozen bananas, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, halved, seeds removed
- Juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
- Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches, recipe follows
- Special equipment: 6 (3-inch) ring molds
Freeze the banana pieces overnight in resealable plastic bags.
Put the bananas, mascarpone, sugar, vanilla seeds, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds, and then whip until smooth, about 20 to 30 seconds. Lay 3-inch ring molds on parchment-lined baking sheets, and fill evenly with the mixture. Freeze until firm, 1 hour or longer, if needed.
Pop out of the molds, and place sandwiched between Double Chocolate Cookies.
Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
In the bowl of an electric mixer or food processor, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined. Add this mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
Fold in the chips and nuts, until just combined. Drop by ice cream scoopfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until just cooked, but still soft. Set cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
Using the same mold rings as the ice cream, cut the cookies into 'sandwiches'. Assemble with the ice cream and serve.