Gumbo Pot Pie
Recipe courtesy Letha Vincent
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 30 min
- 45 min
- 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked pork sausage, sliced
- 1/2 pound pork tasso, sliced
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups cooked rice, (boiled in shrimp stock)
- 2 pounds medium cleaned shrimp
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 can okra cooked with tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, tops only
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
Roux: In a heavy skillet, combine oil with flour and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until dark brown in color. Immediately remove from heat. Roux will continue to cook, stir occasionally. Be careful not to burn your roux or the final dish will taste bitter.
Gumbo: In a large Dutch oven pot, melt butter then add onions, garlic, peppers, and celery. Cook over medium heat on stove until tender, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and tasso and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir in seafood stock, roux, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Add cayenne pepper, hot sauce, garlic, salt, rice, shrimp, crab meat, and okra. Simmer on medium heat until seafood is cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add green onions and mix well. Pour into a greased 2 to 3-quart baking dish.
Topping: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Open crescent rolls, separate each triangle and place on top of gumbo mixture. Bake in oven for 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
Note: A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.