10,000 Island Dressing with Layered Salad
- 10,000 Island dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mustard, preferably Dijon
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup piquante peppers, preferably Peppadews, seeded and diced
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Layered Salad:
- 2 small beets or 1 large
- Olive oil, for roasting beets
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 3/4 cup diced bacon
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
Dressing: In a glass bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard and chili sauce and mix well. Add the capers, peppers, chopped egg, pickles and green onions. Fold everything together and season with the salt and pepper. Transfer to a glass jar or plastic container and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
Salad: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Wash and prepare your vegetables. Trim the ends of the beets, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste, and wrap in foil. Put them on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour or longer. Remove them from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, peel and cut them into julienne pieces.
Saute the diced bacon in a small skillet over medium-high heat until just crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet to a paper towel.
In a clear glass bowl with slanted sides, layer your salad, starting with 1/3 of the iceberg, then the beets, 1/3 of the red leaf lettuce, then the avocado. Keep going with 1/3 of the iceberg, then the onions, 1/3 of the red leaf lettuce, then the tomatoes. Finish with the final portion of iceberg, then the eggs, the final layer of red leaf, then the cucumber. Top the entire salad with the dressing and garnish with the bacon. Toss at the table and serve immediately.