- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 pounds chicken wings, sectioned
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle hot pepper sauce (recommended: Crystal)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
For the wings: In a medium bowl, combine all of the spices and reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Rinse and pat the wings dry and rub them with the spice mix. Refrigerate, loosely covered, for 1 to 2 hours.
Grill method: Preheat the grill to medium. Grill the wings on direct heat until the wings are good and crispy, 15 to 25 minutes. Finish them over indirect heat, turning after 15 to 20 minutes, and turning as further needed.
Oven method: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a small cooling rack, preferably nonstick. Arrange the wings on the rack and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, turning halfway through.
For the sauce: While the wings are cooking, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the butter and when foaming, add the garlic and jalapeno. Saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the reserved 2 tablespoons of spice mix, and then the bottle of hot sauce. Bring to a simmer, and then add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, vinegar, and lime juice. Hold warm.
When ready to serve, add the wings to a large bowl and pour in the sauce. Toss to coat and serve.