- 4 cups canola oil or peanut oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, roasted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, fresh cracked
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, sweeter the better, Vidalia or Texas sweets
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granulated
- 12 ounces beer, medium body
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
In a Dutch oven heat oil to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor combine sour cream, mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, red bell peppers, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, white wine and minced garlic, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Cut onions 1/2-inch thick, remove dark exterior of onions, separate into rings and soak in buttermilk for 1 hour.
Combine 1 cup of flour, remaining salt, pepper, and garlic, mix thoroughly. In a medium bowl combine beer and 1 cup of flour, mix thoroughly.
Remove onion rings from buttermilk, shake off excess, dredge in flour, shake off excess, then dip in beer batter. Drop some onion rings in oil and continue process, being sure not to crowd rings as they will stick together. When golden, remove and let drain on paper towels.
Garnish with Parmesan.