- 1 (4 to 6-pound) chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salsa Verde, recipe follows
- Special equipment: 4 bricks covered in aluminum foil
Remove the backbone of the chicken. Split the breast plate and press down on the chicken in all joints to flatten it.
In a small bowl, mix together the rosemary, white pepper, paprika, salt, garlic, oregano, and basil. Rub the mixture under the skin of the chicken and the inside cavity.
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat with oil, and place chicken skin side down. Place another large saute pan on top of the chicken, and place 4 bricks inside of the top pan.
Cook on medium-high heat, for 7 to 10 minutes on both sides, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with Salsa Verde.
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped jarred roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a food processor, puree all ingredients but oil and salt until smooth. With machine running, slowly add oil until well combined. Season with salt, to taste.
Yield: 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy