- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced hot cherry peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated dry jack cheese
- 4 cups canola oil (or other low-saturated fat oil)
- 8 Italian-style cooked sausages
- 8 Spanish-style cooked sausages
Combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and all the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, beer, eggs, and water, then mix well and add to the dry ingredients. Divide the batter in half. To first half of the batter, add the Italian parsley, hot cherry peppers, garlic and Parmesan and mix well. To the other half, add the jalapenos, cilantro and dry jack. Combine well.
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 375 degrees F. Cut the sausages into thirds and dredge them in the remaining 1 cup flour. Coat the Italian-style sausages in the hot pepper batter and the Spanish-style sausages in the jalapeno batter. Fry the sausages, in batches, until golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.