Crispy Yucca Hash
- 2 pounds yucca
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped shishito peppers or green bell peppers (2 to 3 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, sliced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen and thawed or cut from the cob of 1 ear, grilled
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
Cook's Note: Yucca is a potato-like starchy root vegetable native to South America. It can be found in the produce aisle of your local supermarket or online. Shishito peppers are a small, sweet Japanese pepper from the bell pepper family. They are available at Japanese specialty markets or online.
Set a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and fry the yucca until crispy, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and season with salt. Add the peppers, garlic and onions to the pan and saute until well caramelized, 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the corn, peas and crispy fried yucca back into the pan and heat through. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Toss to combine everything and serve hot.